Tribute No 7 - Jim Jarmusch

zorian

IFC # 5 Cup winner 2013-14
Staff member
11 Oct 2005
On an island in the ocean, on a deserted peak
I continue the tributes to major figures of world cinema with a tribute to American director Jim Jarmusch, who has given us several great films. Greater sense in his films, of course, was made by the participation of great musicians, such as Tom Waits or John Lurie. Barefoot, road movies, film noir etc they make up an important pantheon of films on behalf of 60, a director now.

Last edited:
Reactions: kardasis
Permanent Vacation

Permanent Vacation (1980)

Jarmusch's first film, just 75 minutes long, is far below what follows. A film that moves at a very slow pace, describing the life of a young man who does absolutely nothing in his life, hence "Permanent Holidays". A very slow film, probably addressed only to Angelopoulos' friends. And substance zero.
From the first entries of saxophonist John Lurie (previously played in Roma 78 and in his own short film), which we see in the video below.

Grade: 2 / 10

Answer: Tribute No 7 - Jim Jarmusch

Stranger than Paradise (1984)

In black and white the next road movie of the director, which I think gave ideas to many later directors (eg the last one I remember is last year's Nebraska). Here Lurie has a leading role (beyond his work in music) and really is a movie (of that time) that is worth seeing a cinefriend.
We will listen to "I put a spell on you", the song that is heard many times in the movie, accompanied by various scenes.
Grade: 6 / 10

Answer: Permanent Vacation

Down by Law (1986)

Jarmusch's 3 movie, with an explosive mix of protagonists, John Lurie, Tom Waits and Roberto Benigni, who have been found in prison in the same cell, give an amazing recitals both in prison and after escaping. Benignie's role in his role. Black and white.
We will see the terrible scene with it I scream ... inside the cell (Jazz's favorite).

Grade: 8 / 10

Mystery Train (1989)

The title of this Elvis song was also the title of Jarmusch's 4 film. Besides, in Memphis, from where Elvis Prisley started, the whole movie is played. In essence, the center of the film is a hotel where 3 ends with different stories. (The same idea existed at Four Rooms 6 years later).
A couple of young Japanese people visit the "King" 's homeland, although the young man prefers Carl Perkins to visit the studios where he first recorded and Graceland, where he was born. Eventually they end up at the hotel. Enjoyable Yuki Kudo in her role.
A girl who was damaged by her airliner and another girl she just broke ended in the hotel to sleep after several coincidences in the same room.
And 3 friends, after a drunk murder, end up in the same hotel to hide. And in the end they all tie up, with absolute naturalness.
Jarmusch continues to use musicians in his roles. Lurie is not playing, but has taken care of the music of the movie, which gave us a beautiful soundtrack. Tom Waits only sounds like a radio producer. But Screamin 'Jay Hawkings (whose I spelled on you we listened to Stranger than Paradise) plays in the role of hotel manager and Joe Strummer, Clash singer, who made the murder in the latest story.
The director leaves black and white and gives us a smart story and nice plays.

Grade: 7 / 10

Night on Earth (1991)
Another modem movie by the American director, with 5 separate stories that are centered on taxis and their drivers (for Alec is that it should). Stories are evolving at the same time in 5 different cities in the world, Los Angeles, New York, Paris, Rome and Helsinki.
Very good Winona Ryder in the role of the young taxi driver in the first story and Roberto Benigni in the history of Rome. Others and several actors, in the second roles, play very well (such as the Pope in the history of Rome).
One further point is that in the film 4 is spoken in different languages, English / American in 2 first stories, French in the next, Italian in the fourth and Finnish in the last story.
A smart film in general, a colorful one, and in the music again we find Tom Waits.
Grade: 7 / 10

Enjoy the history of Rome

Dead Man (1995)
Returning to black and white, with a film that evolves in the Wild West, where Johnny Depp went to work as an accountant and ended up looking for him. Stunning film with fantastic scenery and surrealism. Very good Gary Farmer in the role of Indian, a partner of Deep, who in some shots has the misfortune to look like Benny (fuck bad) .... see a photo
benny.jpg
The music here leaves Tom Waits's demon and takes on the genius of Neil Young
Grade 8 / 10

Last edited:

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999)
Film with Jarmusch is getting better. I personally consider Ghost Dog one of the director's top films. Returning to her beloved Japan and her philosophy (remember the Japanese couple at Mystery Train - I was really surprised that none of the night on earth stories took part in Tokyo).
Forest Whitaker is the follower of a gangster. Yes, indeed, Jarmusch becomes a gangster with Eastern philosophy and martial arts, an explosive mix, as well as the pair of Whitaker with the French speaking ice cream salesman.
The director deliberately exaggerates the killings (like Tarantino later in Kill Bill) since the essence of the film is elsewhere and not in the "battles".
The musical investment is in rap style, with RZA care.

Grade 9 / 10

Last edited:
Reactions: Avrolimos

Coffee and Cigarettes (2003)
In 2003, Jarmusch collected several short films from this "film", which he had been making since 1986. He added other stories and finally made a set of sketches, focusing on cups of coffee or tea (on a chessboard background - the table, the tray , the tablecloths etc.) and cigarettes, in black and white film. The protagonists in each sketch are different, who play with their real names and philosophize by drinking and smoking.
Iggy Pop, who played a small role in Dead Man, starred in the box you see below, with Tom Waits, another Begnini starring, in a very clever directed play, Kate Blanchett in a double role, else Bill Murray starring in the director's next film) plays the gargantown,
I can not rate it as a movie, since it is not. I only make a point with the logic of whether it is worth seeing it or not.
Grade: 3 / 10

Night on Earth (1991)
Enjoy the history of Rome
I did not even have to see the video. I saw her first and last time when he came to Greece (Yeah, 1992;) and this particular story can not be forgotten. What to remember first; The description of the meeting with the goat? With his brother's wife? Putting the dead priest on the bench? I would rate 9 / 10.

Reactions: zorian

Broken Flowers (2005)

Another road movie (but comedy) by Jarmusch, starring Bill Murray and the participation of beautiful women such as Sharon Stone and Jessica Lang. Also, the movie's Soundtrack is very good.
Murray is an old-timer Don Juan, who receives a letter from some of his ex, that he is well with him a son, who is now 19 years old and as new and restless he started to find him. With the help of his neighbor, Murray discovers where the candidate mothers are staying, with those who maintain relationships at that time and begin to meet them and solve the mystery ....

Bethlehem: 6 / 10

The limits of control (2009)

Here the American director enters the fields of David Lynch. We watch the unspoken, abominable Isaach de Bankole (played and in some sketches at Coffee and Cigarettes) to make a trip to Spain (to reach his destination), but throughout the movie you do not understand that he finally wants to arrive. So the time goes by and you look in the mirror to see what you did not understand and what the poet wants to say. Obviously the title refers to the protagonist who throughout the film has a self-control that breaks your nerves. I do not think he has anything to offer as a movie to Jarmusch's arsenal.

Grade 3 / 10

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)

The fashion of the films referred to in vampire touched ours as well. However, Jarmusch's latest film is significantly different and I think he is not losing his time if he sees it. Dark movie, with nice music, with smart references and humor doses. The shots above, used in Coffe and Cigarettes by the director, seem to have liked and used them quite well here, often quite beautiful in combination with the turn of the recordings of the turntable. Worth..

Grade: 6 / 10

The Dead Don't Die (2019)

I have a student to watch a zombie movie, and Jarmus now keeps it in old age : twis: After the vampire movie, the new American director's new achievement is a zombie movie. Of course, as the trailer says at the beginning, The greatest zombie cast !!! With Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Steve Buscemi, Chloe Sevigny, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop and RZA, Tilda Swinton (Suspiria's awesome madam) and more. Anyway, enough great actors that you don't expect them to play a zombie movie. Which has nothing to offer the viewer. It's a simple zombie movie! You just see it for a mess.

Grade: 4 / 10

Predictions

• 17:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 1 HD
    • PAS Lamia - PAOK
  • 19:30
    Novasports Prime
    • Mars - Olympiacos
  • 20:00
    Novasports 2HD
    • Monaco - Lille
    Novasports 3HD
    • Lorient - Paris Saint Germain
  • 20:30
    COSMOTE SPORT 1 HD
    • AEK - Panathinaikos
  • 21:30
    Novasports Extra 2
    • Club Brugge - Genk
  • 21:30
    Novasports News
    • Anderlecht - Circle Brugge
  • 21:45
    Novasports Extra 1
    • Wolves - Bournemouth
  • 22:00
    Novasports 1HD
    • Ajax - Excelsior
    Novasports 2HD
    • Atalanta - Fiorentina
    Novasports 3HD
    • Marseille - Nis
    Novasports 5HD
    • Manchester City - Sheffield United
    Novasports Start
    • Crystal Palace - Newcastle
    Novasports Premier League
    • Everton - Liverpool
  • Tomorrow 25-04-2024
  • 03:30
    COSMOTE SPORT 8 HD
    • Independiente del Valle - Palmeiras
  • 16:00
    Star of Central Greece
    • Esperos Lamias - AE Psychikos
    Novasports 6HD
    • Monaco - Fenerbahce
    Novasports 4HD
    • Barcelona - Olympiacos
  • Tomorrow 25-04-2024
  • 01:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 7 HD
    • NBA TV 2023-24
  • 02:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 4 HD
    • Boston Celtics - Miami Heat
  • 03:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 4 HD
    • NBA 2023-24
  • 04:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 7 HD
    • NBA TV 2023-24
  • 12:00
    Novasports 6HD
    • WTA 1000 Mutua Madrid Open - Round of 128
  • 12:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 6 HD
    • ATP Masters 1000 2024
  • 15:30
    COSMOTE SPORT 6 HD
    • ATP Masters 1000 2024
  • 19:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 6 HD
    • ATP Masters 1000 2024
General Chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting right now.
  • PANATHA PANATHA:
    Sportime has hit rock bottom....never believe it...
  • PANATHA PANATHA:
    Of course you're laughing, but the story with Ioannidis showed once again how low social media has become....every idiot writes that he's being bullied without any natural consequences....and it's a good thing that within a few hours the hypothesis was proven to be a hoax ...and it didn't work
    2-3 days...
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    but the situation is laughable, In today's day I don't wonder about anything really
  • Ertzan Forum Bot:
    User Ertzan started a new topic called "IFC Cup#15 FINAL (20-21/4/2024)" in the IFC Competition.
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    In my eyes with the eleven that Fener has sent and it's the one I wrote above Fener normally wins 2-0 at least because the ball is a whore as Osim also said everything we see can go wrong (see yesterday's)
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    Atjun showed once again how big a Fenerbahce fan he is and the match will be shown on free TV8 : smk1:
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    with the entry of Zaits, Fener is currently playing with 10 players
  • PANATHA PANATHA:
    I say it will go to penalties
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    I wish
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    Dzikou holds the defense
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    at the moment Fener is playing with 10 players
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    Krunic even enters
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    if Olympiacos can and really scores its magic, if it loses it deserves its fate
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    Now the coach of Fener "fucked" them but he tells you that Olympiacos is not coming so I can put them
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    as I wrote to a friend besides Batshuayi, I wouldn't change anyone and even if their legs had to be amputated, maybe instead of Bekao if he was injured I would put Bonucci for the penalties
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    Krunic, Zaijc, Under, Caglar that useless there is put the incompetent
  • Water resistant Forum Bot:
    User Water resistant started a new topic called "is there an anonymous wallet?" in the Electronic wallets.
  • S Forum Bot:
    User ssk started a new topic called "Double bet" in the Football Predictions.
  • PANATHA PANATHA:
    What a crazy league this is...
  • K Forum Bot:
    User kandalf started a new topic called "Account management" in the Betting conversations.
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    Our kids have beaten the Italians, especially the 3-0, even Cristiano Ronaldo would be jealous
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    THE FIRST GREEK TEAM TO WIN A EUROPEAN TITLE IN FOOTBALL, OLYMPIAKS YOUNG PEOPLE : smk1:
  • PANATHA PANATHA:
    First European trophy for Greece and the Panathinaikos U19 team in the Netherlands in 1980 ... then Barcelona and Ajax were eliminated !!!!
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    The tavern keeper said that if you don't go to the Final Four, he won't be in the team next year. Okay, we know how crazy he is, I hope you found out too. You lose the match, the players are worried, you throw them and you the ball "it's your fault" and load more pressure
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    PANATHA said:
    First European trophy for Greece and the Panathinaikos U19 team in the Netherlands in 1980 ... then Barcelona and Ajax were eliminated !!!!
    In the Milko cup? : paidi:
    Ertzan Ertzan: First European trophy for Greece and the Panathinaikos U19 team in the Netherlands in 1980...