The Nottingham Forest corner

16575548598822380950106.jpg

Ipswich Town 0 Nottingham Forest 1

ROY Keane said prior to kick-off that he had fallen out of love with football a little since his days as a player with Nottingham Forest.
After the final whistle, his feelings will probably have waned further, after seeing his former side plunder three points at Portman Road on an afternoon when Billy Davies'side again failed to hit top gear.
Ipswich manager Keane is not impressed by the attitude of modern-day players, which he believes has changed since the days when he prowled the City Ground pitch.

But he will have felt some sympathy for his own side, as they saw Forest grind out a hard-fought win in a scrappy, battling encounter.
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>TIN.adverts.adWriteDC('article-detail-impact-tile-top', '452x118', '', null, null);</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/thisisnott/thisisnott_nottnottinghamforesthome_forestnews;area=nottinghamforesthome;subarea=forestnews;target=;article=3060111;rsi=D05509_11363;rsi=D05509_11323;rsi=D05509_11320;rsi=D05509_11403;rsi=D05509_10971;rsi=D05509_10637;rsi=D05509_10760;rsi=D05509_10780;rsi=D05509_11040;rsi=D05509_11086;rsi=D05509_11404;tile=3;sz=452x118;pos=;ord=6151540724413533?"></SCRIPT>
1x1.GIF

"The game has changed a lot since those days and not, in my opinion, for the better," said Keane. "Some of the things I have seen recently have saddened me.

"I fear for the way the game is going and it is only going to get worse."
Keane's mood will only have been darkened as he witnessed the decisive moment of this game, when Damien Delaney steered the ball into his own net in first-half injury time.
But, in contrast, it will have lifted the spirits of Davies, who saw his side claim their first away win of 2011, to follow on from last year, when they managed only three.
Forest made four changes to the side which drew with Barnsley, two of which were significant surprises.
The first saw the inclusion of forgotten man Joel Lynch at left-back for his first start since the final day of the regular season in May, when he was part of a weakened side at Scunthorpe, as Davies rested his key men ahead of the play-offs.

The other shock came in the form of a lone striker David McGoldrick, who had not been included in the squad at all since picking up a knee injury at the end of October and had not been expected to be fit enough to play for several weeks.
Less of a surprise was the return of both Nathan Tyson and Aaron Ramsey to the starting line-up, after the duo - who had been rested - made a significant impact off the bench against Barnsley.
The changes also gave an intimidating look to the substitutes in the dug out, which included Lewis McGugan, Radi Majewski, Marcus Tudgay and Robert Earnshaw, who were all dropped from the starting XI.
The new-look Forest side made a slow start to the game, however, as the first 19 minutes passed without a single meaningful incident.
The monotony was only brought to an end when Jack Colback tussled for possession on the edge of the Forest box and fired a shot straight at Lee Camp for the first notable effort.

Ramsey, playing in the hole just behind McGoldrick, flicked a pass with the outside of his boot to send Chris Gunter surging into space down the right, but his angled cross was cleared at the second attempt.
Forest were presenting a growing threat down that flank, however.
McGoldrick almost weaved his way into the box after cutting inside and, moments later, nearly got onto the end of an angled ball from Cohen, which still forced a save from Marton Fulop, with the cross threatening to bounce inside the post.

Rory Fallon, the big New Zealand striker, should have put the home side ahead when presented with a simple header, but could not muster the power to trouble Camp - while Anderson suffered an identical problem at the other end, as Forest hit back swiftly on the counter-attack.
Keeper Camp was booked, strangely, for time wasting after the Ipswich fans loudly protested at how long he was taking over a goal-kick.
But it was Forest who were demonstrating the greater urgency and could have taken the lead, if not for a smart save from Fulop, smothering the ball bravely at Guy Moussi's feet after the Frenchman had found a path through on goal.

There was a bizarre moment as, when attempting to return possession after Ipswich had allowed Tyson to receive treatment for an injury, McGoldrick managed to hit the bar when attempting to put the ball into touch behind the Ipswich goal - prompting an angry reaction from the Ipswich home dug-out.

Forest came close to scoring in more orthodox fashion as a Cohen free kick almost picked out Luke Chambers, with Lynch then heading inches wide of the post, as half-time approached.
But there was better to come in injury time as some determined play from McGoldrick helped put Forest ahead.
There seemed to be little danger when the striker chased what looked to be an over-hit Cohen pass down the left.

But McGoldrick managed to deliver a cut-back at full-stretch and, when keeper Fulop got a hand to it, he merely directed the ball against the shins of Delaney, to steer the ball into the back of the net for an own goal.
Two minutes after the break, Forest might well have doubled their advantage, after Lynch fed Anderson in space down the left.
The winger cut back a clever ball for Cohen, as he burst into the box, but the midfielder fired high over the bar on the run.
Ipswich had made a change during the break, with Jaime Peters replacing McAuley.

And, with barely seven minutes of the second half played, Keane opted to play his entire hand, by making two further substitutions, with Jason Scotland and Carlos Edwards coming on for Fallon and Jake Livermore.
It was Forest who again came closest however, with McGoldrick flicking a header wide of the post from a corner. Then Anderson seemed to have his heels clipped by Peters as he raced through the center but referee Darren Sheldrake was not convinced.
Substitute Scotland was a lively figure for Ipswich up front, although he was a defender Grant Leadbitter who tested Camp with a dipping volley.
McGoldrick's final touch of the game forced a fine save from Fulop at his near post before he was replaced by Tudgay.
Forest had to make another change – with Kelvin Wilson replacing cramp victim Lynch - but should have put the game beyond doubt had Tyson not headed a golden opportunity wide.
It almost proved costly, with Camp saving well again to deny Leadbitter an equalizer.
But Forest were able to hang on, with Leadbitter red-carded deep into injury time for a bad challenge that left Anderson in a heap.
1x1.GIF

Clough's shadow still looms large over the City Ground

STEVE Wigley is in no doubt - Nottingham Forest has become one of the most difficult clubs to manage in the Football League.
The reason? The giant shadow still cast upon the City Ground by the late and great Brian Clough.

Affectionately known as "old big head" in the east Midlands, Clough transformed Forest from a middling Second Division club to champions of England and Europe in the space of three seasons in the late 1970s.
His achievement of winning back-to-back European Cups with a provincial club must rank as one of the greatest in football. Charismatic, outspoken, and often controversial, Clough is widely considered to be one of the greatest managers of the English game and the greatest ever to manage the England team.

Not surprisingly, those who have attempted to fill his shoes since his departure in 1993 have struggled to fill the void and satisfy an expectant fan-base that demands success.

Now assistant manager at Bristol City, Wigley understands better than most the pressure current Forest boss Billy Davies is under to secure promotion back to the top flight after an absence of more than a decade.
Signed by Clough in 1981, Wigley spent four-and-a-half years at the City Ground as a player before returning in the 1990s to learn his trade as a coach.
He acknowledges: "It's been difficult for whoever has had the job since the gaffer (Clough) left. They were big shoes to fill. After all, he had taken what was a provincial club in the Second Division and won the League title, two European Cups and numerous League Cups.It was an unbelievable achievement.
"Then, like at so many big clubs, Forest went through a bad period when things were not easy. But the expectations are still there and the fans demand success.
"Because of the history and the trophies Brian Clough won, it has been one of the most difficult clubs to manage in recent times."
Although these days he is committed to helping Bristol City realize their dream of reaching the Premier League for the first time, Wigley has nothing but happy memories of his time at Forest and is looking forward to returning for tonight's npower Championship fixture at the City Ground.
He recalls: "I went from Curzon Ashton in the non-league to join a club that had won the European Cup the year before. It was a great opportunity for me, but totally unexpected at the time.

"Forest would take a punt on a player out of non-League every year and Gary Birtles, Ian Woan and David Riley all came from a similar background. We were typical Forest signings back then. They'd pay a million for one player and five grand for another.
"None was more successful than the gaffer's son, Nigel. He was playing for Heanor Town when he had a trial with us and, when I first saw him play, I thought 'bloody hell, where have you been.' "
Wigley reveals: "I went on trial for a week and, at the end of that period, we played Burnley in the reserves in the old Central League. I did not think I'd had the best of games and I thought that would be the end of it.
"Then, all of a sudden, I got a phone call and they said they'd like to sign me. Forest paid the grand total of £ 5,000 and it helped pay for the construction of a new stand at Curzon Ashton.

"I went along to sign on a Monday night with my father and I remember us thinking 'we've got it cracked'. By the time I'd signed and come out of the meeting, I realized I was earning less money than I had been working for the City Engineers & Surveyors and playing non-League!
"It was difficult breaking into the side, because they always seemed to be signing right wingers, but I had an enjoyable four-and-a-half years there.
"After I'd finished playing, I went back to Forest and a job in their Academy under Paul Hart and that's where I began my career as a coach. It was one of the best places to start and Forest provided me with a great grounding . "

Relegated from the Premier League in 1999, Forest's fall from grace was as spectacular as it was unexpected and the club reached an absolute nadir when spending three seasons struggling to escape League One. But a revival is now under way and the Reds are back in the Championship and pushing hard for promotion to the top flight.
Wigley confides: "I'm a great believer that these big clubs with a great tradition always come back, and Forest are definitely on the way back," says Wigley.
"You look at Leeds United now and you look at Derby, and they are all coming back after a lean period. One of the reasons, of course, is that there are 25,000 people watching them every week. When you are pulling in crowds like that, you always have a chance.
"Nottingham is a football city and it will always produce good players. You have Andy cole, Chris Sutton, Jermaine Jenas, Leon Best and a lot more. Every year, the city seems to produce somebody of note. "
Sentiment will be put firmly to one side tonight and Wigley admits: "I may have fond memories of my time at Forest, but I'll enjoy going back there with Bristol City and getting a result."

Match report: Nottingham Forest 1 Bristol City 0

1943162-vlarge.JPG
Forest celebrate Luke Chambers' goal

THERE was another clean sheet for Nottingham Forest, along with another three points as well Billy Davies'side again demonstrated they have the character to grind out victories without being at their best.
This time, there was not the drama to match their weekend win over Derby, as a 47th minute header from Luke Chambers saw off the threat of a Bristol City side low on confidence.
But, as they started the beginning of a crucial week with a comfortable victory, there remained the sense that Forest have added a strength of spirit, to go with the creative verve they so often displayed last season.
Forest have won with more style and panache in the past. But, as they extended their unbeaten run to 33 at the City Ground, they provided further evidence to suggest that they could be a force to be reckoned with as the critical final few weeks of the campaign approach.
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>TIN.adverts.adWriteDC('article-detail-impact-tile-top', '452x118', '', null, null);</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/thisisnott/thisisnott_nottsport_sport;area=sport;subarea=sport;target=;article=3145704;rsi=D05509_11363;rsi=D05509_11323;rsi=D05509_11320;rsi=D05509_11403;rsi=D05509_10971;rsi=D05509_10637;rsi=D05509_10760;rsi=D05509_10780;rsi=D05509_11040;rsi=D05509_11086;rsi=D05509_11404;tile=2;sz=452x118;pos=;ord=7618453922109649?"></SCRIPT>
1x1.GIF

If not for the exploits of David James, the winning margin might have been greater.
But, as Forest prepare to face one of his former clubs, in West Ham, in the FA Cup on Sunday, they will be confident they at least have a chance of ruining the afternoon of another England keeper, in Rob Green.
Joel Lynch, who has been steadily improving at left-back with every game he plays, suffered a couple of nervous touches early on.
But, having lost possession with a poor pass, he showed great determination to win it back immediately, chasing down Albert Adomah and producing a well-timed challenge.
At the other end, Robert Earnshaw's first touch was rather more confident, as he produced a mazy run to force a corner, with James punching clear strongly after Lewis McGugan had delivered dangerously.
The midfielder was clearly in the mood to threaten from set-pieces, however as, from a free-kick 25 yards out, he forced a superb save from the former England keeper, who plunged quickly to his left to push away a vicious strike from the Forest man.
And, even then, when the loose ball fell to Nathan Tyson, his cross almost picked out Chambers, with the defender stretching desperately to get the touch, from close range, that would surely have led to a goal.
James was a busy man early on, as Forest maintained their lively start with a surging run from Chris Cohen down the right flank, which saw the keeper again forced to claim well from the midfielder's fizzing cross.
Forest's confidence - and their menace - was burgeoning and another flowing move brought them the best chance of the game so far in the 17th minute.
Guy Moussi won possession in midfield, played McGugan into space down the left, from where he cut inside onto his right foot to square the ball into the feet of Earnshaw.
Rather than shoot, the striker unselfishly flicked the ball on again, allowing Marcus Tudgay to let fly from the edge of the box, testing James' reactions and agility to the limit once more, as he dropped to his left to parry.
While City mustered the odd moments of danger on the break, it was largely Forest in the ascendancy, as a duel slowly developed between McGugan and James.
The keeper could only look on nervously as the midfielder fired an in-swinging free-kick towards the far post, which Cohen just failed to connect with as it bounced narrowly the wrong side of the post.
Lee Camp was tested for the first time as a referee Danny McDermid failed to spot a handball from Adomah. He controlled before feeding Marvin Elliott's loping run, giving him the room to fire a low shot towards the bottom corner, which Camp held well.
And Adomah had Camp scampering back nervously under his bar as a flicked header floated dangerously close before landing on the roof of the net.
Forest - who had been forced to make one change to their starting line-up, with Paul Anderson picking up a slight hamstring problem at Derby - hit back with another flowing move, instigated by a direct burst from Earnshaw, cutting in from the right.
But, when he fed Tyson - who was back on the wing following his highly effective appearance up front against Derby - at the far post, his touch was too heavy, allowing City to clear.
It proved to be the last incident of a first half in which Forest, while marginally the better side, had again failed to find top gear.
And, after witnessing their side's heroics at Pride Park, there were a few frustrated grumbles from the Reds fans as the whistle blew.
But their mood soon changed after the interval. Within two minutes, Davies' side were ahead as Chambers netted his fourth goal in eight games.
It was a left-footed free-kick from Cohen that did the damage, parting the City defense and picking out the run of the defender, who planted a simple header beyond the, for once, flat-footed James.
Any danger of Forest getting too confident was ended as City came close to an equalizer, with brett pitman failing to make proper contact with a far post header, when Jamal Campbell-Ryce had delivered a teasing ball into the box.
Although, at the other end, it seemed to be a tight offside decision when a clever back-heel from McGugan sent Earnshaw scampering through on goal.
Tyson's pace was proving a worthy outlet for Forest, as he twice stretched his legs to burst into space down the left and, while the City defense managed to scramble clear his crosses on both occasions, it was enough to prompt the City Ground crowd to call for the club 'to sign him up' to a new contract, with his current deal set to expire in the summer.
With Moussi and Earnshaw, two other players who will be out of contract in the summer, also key performers, the situation does not yet appear to be having a negative influence on their motivation levels.
But perhaps the real danger, if a deal can not be agreed, is that they may decide themselves to look for options elsewhere, with none of the trio likely to be short of suitors.
A tiring Tyson was replaced by Garath McCleary in the 67th minute but, before he could get a touch, City were almost level, with Adomah sending a rising drive narrowly over.
It was the rampaging figure of Moussi who carved out Forest's next opportunity, as he bludgeoned his way down the left flank before firing a ball across the face of the six-yard box, with Earnshaw a matter of inches away from applying the vital touch.
And, as the final whistle approached, it was largely Forest who looked the more likely to score, with Earnshaw denied by the alertness of James, as he attempted to lift a long-range shot over him and McGugan firing wildly over from the edge of the box.
1x1.GIF

Coventry 1 - 2 Nott'm Forest

_51059482_010918714-1.jpg
Earnshaw scored the winning goal for Forest after Moussi's cross

Nottingham Forest won their fifth league match in a row to further boost their Championship promotion hopes. Coventry went ahead when Marlon King tapped past Lee Camp from four yards.
A goalkeeping error let Forest back into the game when Lewis McGugan's 30-yard drive evaded Keiren Westwood after the ball bounced in front him.
Rob Earnshaw latched onto Guy Moussi's cross and smashed his effort into the roof of the net to put Forest in front and the visitors managed to hang on.
Forest, with just one defeat in their last 13, are now up to fourth in the table while Coventry have slumped from fifth to 15th on the back of a nine-match winless streak.
o.gif
606: DEBATE

Delighted that the boys have battled for the win. They've improved so much since last season

RedsJax OSC

The Sky Blues suffered a big blow in the pre-match warm-up with the loss of returning midfielder Sammy Clingan, who was part of two changes from Saturday's 3-2 defeat to Birmingham.
Forest also surrendered a winning position to go down 3-2 against Premier League opposition at the weekend and boss Billy Davies made five changes to his XI from the side who started at West Ham - with left-back Paul Konchesky making his Reds debut following his loan switch from Liverpool.
A bright opening set the pattern for the first half as Gary McSheffrey clipped the crossbar with a 25-yard free-kick and Marcus Tudgay almost caught out Westwood from a similar distance.
Coventry broke the deadlock in the 26th minute when McSheffrey whipped in a cross from the left which King and Freddy Eastwood combined to send over the line.
However, it took only five minutes for McGugan to level matters as his shot from distance deceived Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Westwood.
And it was quickly 2-1 courtesy of a bizarre Forest second.
Moussi surged down the right before feeling his hamstring suddenly go but, with Coventry's defense having stopped, the Frenchman managed to whip in a cross which Earnshaw duly finished from close range.
<OBJECT id=embeddedPlayer_9384510 class=inlineimg title="Big Grin" border=0 alt="" classid="clsid:D

Coventry should have been level in the 57th minute when Eastwood glanced King's cross wide of target from six yards.
The hosts continued to search for an equalizer in the second half with Lukas Jutkiewicz finding the side netting in the 79th minute as Coventry pressed but it was all to no avail as high-flying Forest withstood the pressure.

Npower Championship: Table
Saturday, 5 February 2011 17:05 UK
tbl_spc.gif
| Home | Away Team P W D L F A W D L F A GD PTS 1QPR3 30 4 10 5 4 6 1 7 32 8 10 9 6Nott'm Forest3 28 4 9 5 6 6 0 7 26 8 11 9 5Norwich3 30 4 8 5 3 6 4 7 27 8 21 9 6Swansea3 29 4 9 5 3 6 2 7 19 8 5 9 6Leeds3 30 4 8 5 3 6 4 7 30 8 24 9 5Cardiff3 28 4 8 5 4 6 2 7 26 8 14 9 6Millwall3 30 4 9 5 3 6 3 7 25 8 12 9 3Leicester3 30 4 9 5 4 6 2 7 30 8 -16 9 4Watford3 28 4 6 5 5 6 3 7 27 8 18 9 6Burnley3 29 4 9 5 3 6 3 7 29 8 19 9 2Reading3 29 4 6 5 6 6 3 7 24 8 15 9 4Hull3 30 4 5 5 6 6 4 7 13 8 8 9 5Barnsley3 30 4 8 5 4 6 3 7 22 8 -13 9 3Ipswich3 28 4 7 5 1 6 6 7 21 8 -18 9 4Doncaster3 28 4 7 5 4 6 3 7 21 8 -15 9 3Coventry3 30 4 6 5 3 6 6 7 19 8 -17 9 4Derby3 29 4 6 5 2 6 6 7 26 8 -16 9 4Bristol City3 30 4 5 5 4 6 6 7 18 8 -22 9 4Middlesbrough3 29 4 6 5 4 6 4 7 20 8 -17 9 3Portsmouth3 29 4 4 5 6 6 4 7 25 8 -21 9 4Crystal Palace3 30 4 7 5 4 6 4 7 17 8 -13 9 1Sheff Utd3 29 4 4 5 2 6 8 7 15 8 -24 9 3Scunthorpe3 27 4 1 5 3 6 9 7 10 8 -26 9 6Preston3 28 4 3 5 3 6 9 7 14 8 -26 9
tbl_spc.gif

Nott'm Forest 1 - 0 Watford

_51117451_forest.jpg
Forest's match-winning goal came from Tudgay (far left) in the first minute

Marcus Tudgay's first-minute goal ensured Nottingham Forest edged past fellow promotion chasers Watford to go second in the Championship table. Tudgay struck from the edge of the box after 51 seconds and the hosts held on to net a sixth consecutive league win.
Both sides had their chances after that with Marvin Sordell and Lloyd Doyley going close for the visitors.
Nathan Tyson, Rob Earnshaw, Chris Cohen and defender Luke Chambers also had chances for Forest.
But the Reds did not need a clinching second goal and now sit seven points behind leaders QPR with two games in hand.
<OBJECT id=embeddedPlayer_9388752 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 width=226 height=106>

The game's pivotal moment came when new Forest left-back Paul Konchesky combined with Cohen and Earnshaw and the latter teed up Tudgay who finished in fine style with the outside of his right foot.
Watford responded and home keeper Lee Camp made fine saves from a fierce Sordell strike and an excellent dipping effort from full-back Doyley.
Cohen then hit a snap shot at the other end before Earnshaw curled a free-kick wide as a lively first half came to an end.
The chances dried up a bit after the interval but Earnshaw flashed a shot across the face of goal and Watford's Danny Graham had his first attempt but he could only drill a low shot at Camp after some good work in the box.
<OBJECT id=embeddedPlayer_9388766 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000 width=226 height=106>

Chambers almost nicked a second home goal when he flicked a header wide from a Radoslaw Majewski corner before Forest substitute Nathan Tyson had the final effort of the afternoon when he shot straight at keeper Scott Loach from 20 yards.
The Hornets have now gone four games without a win in all competitions but remain in the hunt for a play-off push themselves.

Championship

Nottingham Forest 2
  • Morgan 32,
  • Earnshaw 67
Cardiff City 1
  • Whittingham (pen) 64

Robert-Earnshaw-scores-ag-007.jpg
Robert Earnshaw scores the winner against the club where he began his career. Photograph: PA The trauma of a midweek defeat by Scunthorpe was swiftly banished as Nottingham Forest's astonishing home form continued. Billy Davies's side earned a portentous victory against promotion rivals Cardiff City despite conceding a second-half penalty which briefly threatened to unravel them.
It was especially apt that Robert Earnshaw should score the winner against the club with which he spent seven years. His breakaway goal, scored three minutes after Peter Whittingham's spot-kick, hoists Forest to second in the table and relegates the Bluebirds to the play-off places.
Earnshaw's finish was of an ilk Cardiff fans will remember fondly; the Welshman's pace enabled him to reach Paul Anderson's threaded cross ahead of goalkeeper Tom Heaton; his poise ensured he did not spurn the opportunity. However, it was Wes Morgan's powerful first-half header which gave Forest the lead in the 32nd minute that caught the eye of Forest manager, Billy Davies.
"I've been giving Morgan some stick over the last few weeks. I asked him when he was intending on joining us with the goalscoring," Davies said. "It was a fantastic goal - he's got that in his locker."
Forest merited this victory for their resilience against an attack-minded Cardiff side which clearly believed they could become the first visiting side to win a league match at the City Ground in 17 months. Forest's keeper, Lee Camp, was, however, equal to their best efforts on goal, Whittingham's penalty apart.
Craig Bellamy tested Camp's agility and strength with a typically brutish effort which the keeper stretched well to keep out, not long after Earnshaw's neat chip was ruled offside.
Camp, newly recruited to the Northern Ireland set-up, was even more impressive when he raced from his line to deny Jay Bothroyd in the 14th minute. At the subsequent corner, Camp was helpless; fortunately for Forest, Paul Konchesky was on the goalline to repel Bellamy's low drive.
Although they were beset by aggressive opponents, Forest posed a sporadic threat themselves. When Chris Gunter earned a corner from a deep, looping free-kick after 32 minutes, Lewis McGugan delivered a testing cross and Morgan leapt to head Forest in front.
McGugan might have doubled Forest's lead before the interval but his first-time, left-foot effort rose steadily and, inevitably, hit the crossbar.
Earnshaw spurned a good chance in the second half when he allowed Paul McKenna's rasping cross to fly across the six-yard box without committing himself. The Welshman tentatively led with his leg when a braver option - a diving header - might have produced the finish the cross deserved.
Camp then denied Seyi Olofinjana with a superb reflex save before the referee awarded a contentious penalty to the visitors for what he deemed to be a handball by Chris Gunter as he slid to claim possession. The Cardiff players and fans appealed heartily but Forest's were perplexed. Davies was unequivocal in his condemnation: "I think it was a stonewall decision that it was not a penalty. I've seen it on the video and I was very disappointed. That gave them a lift and a chance. But credit to our players for bouncing again. "
The Cardiff substitute Jay Emmanuel-Thomas might have put the visitors ahead within seconds of Whittingham's goal, as he tried and almost managed to beat Camp from distance, before Anderson slipped the ball to Earnshaw on a swift and, ultimately, clinical Forest counterattack.
Nathan Tyson ought to have sealed the win for Forest late on but selfishly chose to shoot when the home side were three-on-one. Cardiff also pressed hard for a second equalizer, but had they scored one it would have been an injustice. Forest were resolute till the end; they had to be.

Nottingham Forest 2 Preston 2: Billy Fizz! Dramatic finale as coaches square up

By Neil Moxley
Last updated at 7:45 AM on 23rd February 2011

Passions spilled over in the rival dug-outs at the City Ground following a dramatic finale which saw two injury-time goals.

Tensions had been bubbling between Forest boss Billy Davies and Preston counterpart Phil Brown and the late strikes - one for each team - sparked unsavory scenes.

article-1359595-0D50DBCB000005DC-323_468x297.jpg
Naked ambition: Billy Jones celebrates equalizing for Preston in the final seconds

Forest's bench went up in delight when Chris Cohen's free-kick deceived the visitors' defense and flew past Iain Turner, with assistant boss David Kelly leading the celebrations.
But the jubilation was cut short in seconds when David Gray crossed for Billy Jones to nod the equalizer.

article-1359595-0D50D24E000005DC-13_468x302.jpg
Head boy: Jones equalizes in the last minute to earn his struggling side a draw

A Preston delegation - led by assistant boss Brian Horton - then raced into the home technical area. The only surprise was that it did not prompt a bout of fisticuffs.

Calm was eventually restored and the two benches went their separate ways when referee Darren Deadman called time on the evening's events.

Brown said: 'I thought Forest's celebrations were a little premature, but it was nothing more than competitive, backroom staff stuff. Our bottom line is to stay in the Championship and with that spirit it is possible. '

Davies said: 'I have no issues with how people celebrate. Sometimes you do not realize where you are going. Look at Jose Mourinho - sometimes you lose your bearings.

article-1359595-0D50AAF9000005DC-924_468x286.jpg
Loan ranger: Paul Konchesky grabbed a key goal for new club Nottingham Forest

'It's emotional (for Preston) when you score in six minutes of injury time against a team that hasn't lost at home in 35 matches.'

Preston had upset the hosts by taking a 17th-minute lead. Keith Treacy curled over a cross from the left that former Rangers trainee Barry Nicholson nodded past Lee Camp.

Forest were wasteful both before and after that goal but drew level on 54 minutes. Paul Konchesky may have left Liverpool under a dark cloud last month but his first goal for Forest lifted home spirits. Preston half-cleared David McGoldrick's center and Konchesky volleyed it home.

Cohen's inswinging free-kick from the right seemed to have won it for Forest but Treacy set Gray clear to cross for the unmarked Jones to level it up.
'When your right -back crosses in the sixth minute of added time and the left-back scores, it shows the spirit we have,' added a relieved Brown.

Read more: Nottingham Forest 2 Preston 2: Billy Fizz! Dramatic finale as coaches square up | Mail Online

Great and historic club!
If I remember correctly, the first team from the port that won the championship.
Although a big fan of Liverpool, I hope he goes up to the Premier ..

Reactions: Forest

Great and historic club!
If I remember correctly, the first team from the port that won the championship.
Although a big fan of Liverpool, I hope he goes up to the Premier ..

A very historic club but we are shooting at the small categories in the post-Brian Clough era ...... I hope that in the next three years we will be able to return to the Premiership. The team is doing a really good job and there is stability in the last two years, to see if we can do it: sign:

If he beats Hull today, which I see very positively, he will take a big step to enter the playoffs ... see you!

Hull's Matty Fryatt puts a dent in Nottingham Forest's promotion push

• <IFRAME style="WIDTH: 110px; HEIGHT: 20px" class="twitter-share-button twitter-count-horizontal" title="Twitter For Websites: Tweet Button" tabIndex=0 src="http://platform0.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.html?_=1299405286432&count=horizontal&counturl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guardian.co.uk%2Ffootball%2F2011%2Fmar%2F05%2Fnottingham-forest-hull-city-championship&lang=en&related=guardian_sport&text=Nottingham%20Forest%201-0%20Hull%20City%20%7C%20Championship%20match%20report&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgu.com%2Fp%2F2nh7a%2Ftw&via=guardian" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME>
Matty-Fryatt-007.jpg
Matt Fryatt of Hull City scores the only goal of the game against Nottingham Forest. Photograph: Clive Mason / Getty Images The ending of a run of 36 matches unbeaten at the City Ground was undeserved, according to the Nottingham Forest manager, Billy Davies, but the Scot acknowledged his side has "lost a little fluency" in recent matches.
In fact, Forest have won just one of their last seven in the league - a sequence which represents a severe setback to their hopes of automatic promotion.
"I'm very proud of that home record but it was never going to go on for ever," said Davies after Matty Fryatt's calmly taken goal shortly after the hour and a defensive effort of real commitment lead by Anthony Gerrard gave Hull a win that keeps them in with a decent chance of making the play-offs.
With nine players currently out injured, Davies confirmed he has been desperately trying to bring in a number of loan signings, without success.
"We'll keep working on that, but the secret will be to get to the international break and hopefully get the majority of our injured players back for the remaining eight matches - and then it's game on," Davies said.
The last visitors to win at the City Ground were Blackpool in September 2009, and the Seasiders went on to win promotion via the play-offs. However, Hull's assistant manager, Craig Shakespeare, said the Tigers did not intend to get carried away after a result which extends their unbeaten run away from home to 13 - equalling a club record.
"The players are buoyant right now, but it means nothing if we do not continue to improve," Shakespeare said.
The fact that both managers were aware draws are no longer enough was evident in the line-ups, with Hull playing three up front.
However positive the intentions, though, the general lack of creative ability kept chances to a minimum.
Rob Earnshaw's volley straight at Hull goalkeeper Vito Mannone was Forest's best effort of the first half, and after Fryatt scored only when Radoslaw Majewski flashed an angled shot just beyond Mannone's far post with two minutes remaining did they come really close to equalizing.

'Glass half full' for Forest boss after defeat to Hull

Mar 6 2011 by Roy Bayliss, Sunday Mercury
NOTTINGHAM Forest boss Billy Davies was in defiant mood after Hull ended his side's remarkable 36-match unbeaten run at the City Ground.
Promotion-chasing Forest had not lost a regular season match on home soil since September 2009, but suffered defeat courtesy of Matty Fryatt's 64th-minute strike.
The Reds slipped to fifth in the npower Championship table as a result and are now without a win in four.
However, an upbeat Davies said: "We are joint-top in terms of the most wins since January.
//'); //]]>

"We have lost, before today, two games in sixteen matches. We were 36 games undefeated at the City Ground and we've got nine players missing through injury. My glass is half full.
“I've got to be realistic. We've lost a bit of fluency, of course, with nine injuries. That's not an excuse, that's a fact.
"But we are in the top six, three points off second place. There's a long way to go but I'm delighted to be where we are.
“I'm very proud of the home record. We were never going to go on forever with this run, it had to come to an end sometime.
"But I thought in the first half we deserved to be in front and, while I do not think we deserved to win in the second half, we certainly never deserved to lose."
The Tigers created little aside from Fryatt's goal, which came after a pass from center-half James Chester had deflected into the striker's path.
"They had one shot at goal in the whole of the second half and it came from our possession," Davies added.
"We gave the ball away on the edge of the box, the boy tries to play it forward, it hits (Chris) Cohen on the leg, spins to Fryatt, they go up the park and they score. Unbelievable. ”
The last team to claim victory at the City Ground was Blackpool, who went on to defeat Forest again in the play-offs as they secured promotion to the Premier League.
Hull still retain hope of sneaking into the top six this season.

Sheffield United 2 Nottingham Forest 1

MICKY Adams breathed a sigh of relief after ending his long wait for a win as Sheffield United boss in the 2-1 defeat of Nottingham Forest and then insisted "we're not dead yet".
Lifelong Blades fan Adams has endured a miserable tenure since replacing Gary Speed at Bramall Lane at the end of December, failing to record a win in 13 games in charge.
But he finally masterminded a victory as goals from on-loan striker Sam Vokes, his first for the club, and defender Matt Lowton boosted United's hopes of avoiding relegation with a 2-1 win after Dele Adebola had given promotion-hopefuls Nottingham Forest a half-time lead.
Forest have now failed to win in their last five Championship games and boss Billy Davies put their loss of form down to "mental tiredness".
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>TIN.adverts.adWriteDC('article-detail-impact-tile-top', '452x118', '', null, null);</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/thisisnott/thisisnott_nottnottinghamforesthome_forestnews;area=nottinghamforesthome;subarea=forestnews;target=;article=3309288;rsi=D05509_10971;rsi=D05509_10637;rsi=D05509_10760;rsi=D05509_10780;rsi=D05509_11040;rsi=D05509_11086;tile=3;sz=452x118;pos=;ord=7718636731418664?"></SCRIPT>
The defeat leaves the Reds in sixth place, four points behind second-placed Swansea but three points ahead of seventh-placed Burnley, who have two games in hand.
Davies said: "For 60 minutes I did not see us in any trouble.
"I thought first half we played better than the home side, I thought we had a couple of good chances, showed some good quality and scored our goal. We deserved to be in front.
"We needed to get the second goal, we did not pass well enough in the second half, our positional game was not good enough, we played too direct and we did not influence the game enough in the final third.
"For the last half-hour we looked mentally tired, that's the best word to describe it."
He added: "The target before this game was five or six points out of the next three matches, now we've got to take six points from the next two games."
Adams admitted he had become tired of hearing about United's poor form since he took over at the club and urged his side to kick on and mount a brave battle to avoid the drop.
He said: "We've got to use it as a springboard for the last ten games and see what we can do.
"There was a massive mental barrier we needed to break down and hopefully that's done now, we've smashed it down tonight.
"People will stop talking about it now and we can all get on with our lives, because I was sick of reading about it and seeing it.
"It's behind us now, we've got to look forward and move on. Ten games to go, got to give it a real go, we're not dead men."

Swansea City 3
  • Sinclair 21,
  • Borini 26,
  • Borini 56
Nottingham Forest 2
  • Boyd 44,
  • Anderson 90

Paul-Konchesky-007.jpg
Nottingham Forest's Paul Konchesky (left) and Chris Cohen (right) put Swansea's Nathan Dyer under pressure. Photograph: James Benwell / Action Images Against a backdrop of posters advertising Rod Stewart's forthcoming gig at the Liberty Stadium, Swansea returned to winning ways, maintaining the pressure on QPR and Norwich for the two automatic promotion places.
It is a shame Rod, a self-confessed football nut, was not here to witness this thrilling match - in particular the performance of Fabio Borini, the Italy Under-21 striker on loan to City from Chelsea until the summer for the rest of the season.
Borini scored twice on his debut in a Swansea game dominated yet so nearly threw away. They took the lead in the 21st minute through one of the goals of the season, Scott Sinclair leaving several players in his wake on a mazy run before beating Lee Camp with a low shot. John Barnes would have been proud of it.
Five minutes later, a peach of a pass from Alan Tate released Angel Rangel, who squared the ball for Borini, the lone striker in Swansea's 4-5-1 formation. The Italian's first shot was blocked by a defender. His second almost burst the net.
Although Kris Boyd pulled a goal back for Forest in first-half injury time, Swansea continued to dominate, Borini scoring again in the 56th minute to seemingly put the game beyond the visitors. That was until Paul Anderson made it 3-2 in injury time and suddenly home nerves began to jangle. Only the woodwork denied Forest an equalizer, Chris Cohen's cross from the left from the left brushing against Swans substitute Garry Monk before clattering an upright.
Forest have now gone seven games without a win and are staring nervously over their shoulders at the clubs chasing them for a play-off place.
"It says 3-2 on the scoreboard and I did not really think the game was a 3-2, but it's still a great win for us," said Brendan Rodgers, Swansea's manager.
Rodgers's opposite number, Billy Davies, admitted his out-of-form side "did not deserve anything."

Predictions

• 19:45
    COSMOTE SPORT 8 HD
    • Fiorentina - Victoria Plzen
  • 19:45
    COSMOTE SPORT 9 HD
    • Lille - Aston Villa
  • 20:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 2 HD
    • European Football Show Greek Edition 2023-24
  • 22:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 3 HD
    • PAOK - Club Brugge
    COSMOTE SPORT 4 HD
    • Fenerbahce - Olympiacos
    COSMOTE SPORT 5 HD
    • Roma - Milan
    COSMOTE SPORT 6 HD
    • West Ham - Leverkusen
    COSMOTE SPORT 7 HD
    • Atalanta - Liverpool
    COSMOTE SPORT 8 HD
    • Marseille - Benfica
  • 00:05
    COSMOTE SPORT 2 HD
    • European Football Show 2023-24
  • 14:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 3 HD
    • UEFA Youth League Show
  • 15:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 3 HD
    • Olympiacos - Nantes
  • 17:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 3 HD
    • UEFA Youth League Show
  • 18:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 8 HD
    • Al Nasr - Al Fayha
  • 19:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 3 HD
    • Porto - Milan
  • 19:30
    Novasports 2HD
    • Nuremberg - Paderborn
    COSMOTE SPORT 2 HD
    • Genoa - Lazio
  • 21:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 8 HD
    • Al Ahly - Al Hilal
  • 21:30
    Novasports 3HD
    • Eintracht Frankfurt - Augsburg
    Novasports 4HD
    • Palermo - Parma
    Novasports Start
    • Tenerife - Leganes
  • 21:45
    COSMOTE SPORT 7 HD
    • Cagliari - Juventus
    Novasports 1HD
    • Athletic Bilbao - Granada
    Novasports 2HD
    • Nice - Lorient
  • 22:15
    COSMOTE SPORT 2 HD
    • Rio Ave - Aruca
  • 20:15
    ERT3
    • Olympiacos - Prometheus
  • 01:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 7 HD
    • NBA TV 2023-24
  • 04:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 7 HD
    • NBA TV 2023-24
  • 20:15
    ERT3
    • Panathinaikos - Peristeri
  • 20:55
    COSMOTE SPORT 4 HD
    • NBA Action 2023-24 E3326
    Novasports Prime
    • Baskonia - Virtus Bologna
  • Tomorrow 20-04-2024
  • 01:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 7 HD
    • NBA TV 2023-24
  • 02:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 4 HD
    • SoFi NBA Play-In Tournament
  • 04:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 7 HD
    • NBA TV 2023-24
  • 04:30
    COSMOTE SPORT 5 HD
    • SoFi NBA Play-In Tournament
  • 12:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 6 HD
    • ATP 500 2024
  • 14:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 6 HD
    • ATP 500 2024
  • 17:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 6 HD
    • ATP 500 2024
  • 19:00
    COSMOTE SPORT 6 HD
    • ATP 500 2024
    Novasports 6HD
    • WTA 500 Porsche Tennis Grand Prix
  • 06:30
    ANT1 +
    • Formula 1 Shanghai International Circuit Practice 1
  • 09:25
    COSMOTE SPORT 5 HD
    • WRC 2024
  • 10:30
    ANT1 +
    • Formula 1 Shanghai International Circuit Sprint Qualifying
  • 10:40
    COSMOTE SPORT 5 HD
    • WRC 2024
  • 11:25
    COSMOTE SPORT 5 HD
    • WRC 2024
  • 12:45
    COSMOTE SPORT 5 HD
    • WRC 2024
  • 13:30
    Novasports 6HD
    • WTA 500 Porsche Tennis Grand Prix
  • 13:30
    COSMOTE SPORT 6 HD
    • ATP 500 2024
  • 14:30
    Novasports 5HD
    • WTA 250 Open Metropole
  • 15:30
    COSMOTE SPORT 6 HD
    • ATP 500 2024
  • 17:30
    COSMOTE SPORT 6 HD
    • ATP 500 2024
    COSMOTE SPORT 6 HD
    • ATP 500 2024
General Chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting right now.
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    that's why it was interrupted, I'll tell you what happened here
  • PANATHA PANATHA:
    That's why I'm here...to inform about everything : bravo: : ROFLMAO: :p
  • B Forum Bot:
    User BraShaVa8888 started a new topic called "|_ Live _|" in the Football Predictions.
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    according to the Greek media, as I read, Panathaspor decided to buy Giannis Goumas from Turkey. Very good move, well done : smk1:
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    According to the coach Ismail Kartal, except for Ostervolde where he operated and Perez there is no absence. So what I'm waiting for and what 99% of those who watch Fener are waiting for is the following lineup

Livakovic

Osagi Samuel-Tsikou-Bekao-Kantioglou

Ismail Yuksek-Fred
    Shimansky
    Kahveji-Tadic
    Jacko
    this is Fener's factory setting here you don't even need a coach everything works on auto
  • PANATHA PANATHA:
    Where did you read this?
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    according to beisports turkey is a publication of sportime says
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    was the lover accused of doping? he probably overdid it with the viagra : smk1:
  • PANATHA PANATHA:
    Sportime has hit rock bottom....never believe it...
  • PANATHA PANATHA:
    Of course you're laughing, but the story with Ioannidis showed once again how low social media has become....every idiot writes that he's being bullied without any natural consequences....and it's a good thing that within a few hours the hypothesis was proven to be a hoax ...and it didn't work
    2-3 days...
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    but the situation is laughable, In today's day I don't wonder about anything really
  • Ertzan Forum Bot:
    User Ertzan started a new topic called "IFC Cup#15 FINAL (20-21/4/2024)" in the IFC Competition.
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    In my eyes with the eleven that Fener has sent and it's the one I wrote above Fener normally wins 2-0 at least because the ball is a whore as Osim also said everything we see can go wrong (see yesterday's)
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    Atjun showed once again how big a Fenerbahce fan he is and the match will be shown on free TV8 : smk1:
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    with the entry of Zaits, Fener is currently playing with 10 players
  • PANATHA PANATHA:
    I say it will go to penalties
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    I wish
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    Dzikou holds the defense
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    at the moment Fener is playing with 10 players
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    Krunic even enters
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    if Olympiacos can and really scores its magic, if it loses it deserves its fate
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    Now the coach of Fener "fucked" them but he tells you that Olympiacos is not coming so I can put them
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    as I wrote to a friend besides Batshuayi, I wouldn't change anyone and even if their legs had to be amputated, maybe instead of Bekao if he was injured I would put Bonucci for the penalties
  • Ertzan Ertzan:
    Krunic, Zaijc, Under, Caglar that useless there is put the incompetent
    Ertzan Ertzan: Krunic, Zaijc, Under, Caglar that useless there is put the incompetent